Schools in the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference are known for having big student turnouts at sporting events.
Whenever there is a basketball, football, or soccer game; schools like DeMatha, Paul VI, and St. John’s will form large student sections in support of their team.
In 2015, Inside The Locker Room started the WCAC Student Section Challenge to see which school has the best student section. It’s a month-long tournament and people have a chance to vote on their favorite student section. The Challenge has seen a huge amount of participation from teachers, and students from different WCAC schools.
- The Challenge will have a tournament like format
- There is a play-in round, quarterfinals, semifinals, and a championship.
- The play-in features four schools. The winners of the play-in round will move on to the quarterfinals to face the No. 1 and No. 2 seed.
- Each round is a week-long. The school with the most votes at the end of the week will go to the next round.
- The winner of the Student Section Challenge will be the first seed in the next challenge.
DeMatha, Elizabeth Seton, Paul VI, St. John’s, Gonzaga, Bishop O’Connell, Good Counsel, Bishop Ireton, St. Mary’s Ryken, Bishop McNamara
2017-Bishop O’Connell, 2016- Paul VI, 2015- DeMatha
2017 WCAC Student Section Challenge Layout
Play-In Round (Jan. 18-24)
DeMatha vs. St. Mary’s Ryken
Good Counsel vs. Bishop Ireton
Quarterfinals (Jan. 25-31)
1. Paul VI vs 9. Good Counsel/ 10. Bishop McNamara
4. Gonzaga vs 5. Elizabeth Seton
3. Bishop O’Connell vs 6. Bishop Ireton
2. St. John’s vs 7. DeMatha/ 8. St. Mary’s Ryken
Semifinals (Feb. 1-7)
Championship (Feb. 8-14)
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Inside The Locker Room