Football Recruiting

WCAC football players that are being recruited by the University of Maryland


Photo Courtesy: www.si.com
Photo Courtesy: http://www.si.com

 Maryland is trying to reshape their program by bringing some of the top football players in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area. A good amount of those players come from the WCAC. 

The University of Maryland has dealt with struggles on the football field over the past few seasons. They are trying to rebuild by looking for top high school prospect, especially in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area. Most of the players they are trying to get come from the WCAC (Washington Catholic Athletic Conference), a conference that has produced some very good athletes. Out of that conference, the Terps already have four commits. Maryland looks to bring in more and hopefully reshape the program. Here is a look at football players in the WCAC that have caught the Terps eye. 

Committed Players  

WR Tino Ellis, DeMatha Catholic High School

WR Darryl Turner Jr., DeMatha Catholic High School

RB Lorenzo Harrison, DeMatha Catholic High School

LB Keandre Jones, Good Counsel

RWilliams
Photo Courtesy: http://www.rivals.com

QB Ramar Williams- Bishop McNamara High School class of 2016

The senior quarterback is the Mustangs best player and probably the top quarterback in the conference. Ramar is a dual-threat quarterback that can beat his opponents with his speed and his arm. Last year, Williams threw for 2644 yards and 24 touchdowns. With three games into the season, Ramar has thrown for 780 yards, 7 touchdowns, and 178 rushing yards. In a game against Woodberry Forest, he threw for 223 yards and rushed for 109 yards. Ramar will likely go down as one of the top passers in Maryland history. He just needs 1,636 passing yards to break Maryland’s all-time career passing yard record.

As of now, Ramar has offers from Maryland, Hawaii, Army, Air Force, and East Carolina according to 247sports. Because of the type of player Ramar Williams is, he should get more offers before he makes an official decision.

Chase Young(Scout.com)
Photo Courtesy: http://www.scout.com

 DE Chase Young – DeMatha Catholic High School class of 2017

Since transferring to DeMatha from St. Vincent Pallotti, junior Chase Young has become a highly recruited athlete. Standing at 6 foot 5 and weighing 250 pounds, the four-star defensive end has received offers from schools like Maryland, Alabama, Florida State, Georgia, and top rank Ohio State.

According to 247sports.com, Chase is the fifth best weak side defensive end in the Maryland and tenth in the nation. In the first three games of the season, Chase, along with his teammate Shane Simmons (Penn State), has caused major problems for offenses. His ability to get past the offensive line and put pressure on the quarterback has helped DeMatha in their first three games of the season. Chase has a huge list of offers  and expect that list to grow as he continues his football career at DeMatha. 

Photo Courtesy: www.sentelevision.com
Photo Courtesy: http://www.sentelevision.com

DE Terrell Hall- St. John’s College High School class of 2016

Former Ohio State commit Terrell Hall takes up a spot on the list. Hall is the third best weak side defensive end in the country according to Rivals and number one prospect in Washington DC. Terrell has offers from Maryland, Alabama, Florida, Clemson, and other big time schools. The Crimson Tide seem to be the most likely destination for Hall but it’s not a lock yet. Terrell would be a great addition to any team’s defense. His strength and ability to get at the opponent makes him a valuable player and someone to watch out for the rest of the season. 

Photo Courtesy: www.facebook.com
Photo Courtesy: http://www.facebook.com

QB Dejuan Ellis- Bishop O’Connell Catholic High School class of 2018

Since middle school, quarterback Dejuan Ellis has received a lot hype for being the area’s next big time high school football player. In his freshman year he didn’t get a lot of snaps with Bishop O’Connell varsity football team since it was his first year, and the Knights already had an established quarterback in Michael Galvan. But Ellis did excel in the games he started on the junior varsity level.

Now that Galvan is gone, Ellis is the starter and it’s time for him to live up his expectations. This season, Dejuan has started in two games. The first one was a 38-0 loss against McDonogh. In that game, Ellis threw for 119 yards, zero touchdowns, and one interception. Ellis second game of the year was another loss but this time it was Bishop Ireton. Dejuan threw for 177 yards, one touchdown, and ran for 64 yards.

Dejuan only has one official offer from Maryland but he has interest from Penn State, North Carolina, Virginia Tech, and Virginia. Ellis has the potential to be a top tier quarterback, it’s just a matter of patience. 

Anthony McFarland (DeMatha)
Photo Courtesy: http://www.rivals.com

RB Anthony McFarland- DeMatha Catholic High School class of 2017

DeMatha’s Anthony McFarland is one of the top players in the conference and maybe the best. His amazing speed and on field vision makes him a threat to defenders. And you can’t forget that he can play a little of wide receiver if he needed to. McFarland has been a talked about prospect since his freshman year and he continues to live up to the hype.

According to 247sports.com, the five-star running back is the number one running back in the state of Maryland and number two in the country. Almost every Division I football team wants McFarland as he has offers from Georgia, Maryland, Alabama, Florida State, Clemson, and Michigan. In the 247sports.com Crystal Ball predictions, there is a 80% chance of Anthony going to Georgia and a 10% chance of him going to either Maryland or Florida State. 

Terrance Davis
Photo Courtesy: http://www.rivals.com

OL Terrance Davis- DeMatha Catholic High School class of 2016

Ranked as the number one offensive lineman in Maryland and in the nation, senior Terrance Davis is a force to be reckoned with. He is one of many talented players on the DeMatha roster. Davis makes up the Stags front line that hardly gives up a sack. Terrance has received offers from Maryland, Alabama, Michigan, Georgia, and many others. In the Crystal Ball predictions, there is a 78% chance of Davis going to play for Jim Harbaugh at Michigan and a 22% chance of him going to Maryland. 

Aaron Hansford(Scout.com)
Photo Courtesy: http://www.scout.com

OLB Aaron Hansford- St. John’s College High School class of 2016

Senior outside linebacker Aaron Hansford is the fourth best linebacker in Washington DC and 23rd in the nation. Hansford will join other WCAC players like teammate Terrell Hall, Shane Simmons, Terrance Davis, and Tino Ellis in the Under Armour All-American game. Aaron has great speed which makes him a threat offensively when he plays wide receiver and defensively at linebacker. The four star athlete has offers from Ohio State, Maryland, Penn State, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Michigan State. 247sports.com Crystal Ball predictions got Aaron Hansford going to Ohio State. 

AustinF(Scout)
Photo Courtesy: http://www.scout.com

DT Austin Fontaine DeMatha Catholic High School class of 2018

DeMatha’s defense is one of the best in the WCAC and the primary reason for that is the players that make up that defense. Shane Simmons, Robbie Robinson, Chase Young, and Andrew Robertson are some names to throw out there. Then you got sophomore defensive tackle Austin Fontaine. He shows you how deep DeMatha roster is and why they are rank so high nationally. Right now Fontaine has offers from Maryland, Clemson, Georgia, Penn State, and Virginia. Expect his list to continue to grow as he develops into a big time playmaker. 

Ryan McFadden is the founder of Inside The Locker Room and alumni from DeMatha Catholic High School. He attends Iona  College and plans to major in Mass Communication. Follow him on Twitter @RMcFadden15. Be sure to follow Inside The Locker Room on Twitter @lockerroom2015  for more news on high school sports and sports in general. 

*All stats and information are from the Washington Post and 247sports.com. 

2 comments

  1. Ryan,

    You seemed to have left out 2 dominant, 2017 players from Good Counsel that have Maryland offers or high interest.
    First is defensive lineman Josh Paschal, a 4 star d end. He has Ohio St and SEC offers.
    The 2nd is running back Mohamed Ibrahim also a Rivals 4 star. Ibrahim has offers from Iowa and Kentucky with high interest from Ohio State. More offers are coming. Maryland really needs to get on board with this kid. He is a notch under McFarland, but not much and way superior to Lorenzo Harrison. Check out video from his game against LaSalle Catholic last week where he out gained and out performed the number 1 running back in the nation, Ohio State commit, Kareem Walker, 220 yds and 5 tds to 170 yds and 2 tds for Walker.
    Ibrahim is electric!

    Like

    1. Ryan,

      You left off another WCAC commit to Maryland. A 2nd Good Counsel, 2016 Maryland commit, 3 star corner back, Traevon Stott was left off your list. Stott verbaled shortly after Keandre Jones did. He has not played this year because he tore his achillies tendon during pre-season practices. I’m quite sure Maryland will still honor his commitment come National Signing Day.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s