Morgan State beats Manhattan 85-82, Kendley drops 40 points

Tiwian Kendley
Photo by Traevon Benjamin/Inside The Locker Room

Morgan State’s (3-6) junior guard Tiwian Kendley scored 40 points in the 85-82 win over Manhattan (2-7) on Tuesday night.

Senior Kyle Thomas tallied 15 points, while junior Philip Carr recorded 19 points and 11 rebounds. Manhattan’s Zane Waterman scored a team-high 23 points and Thomas Capuano registered 18 points.

Led by Capuano, the Jaspers went on a huge scoring run to end the first half. His three pointer in the final seconds of the half  gave the Jaspers a 35-34 advantage.

Kendley, who had his arm taped up, and Thomas both finished the first half with 12 points each. The Bears shot the ball poorly from the free throw line as they went 5-14 in the first half.

Manhattan’s seven-foot-one big man from Egypt Ahmed Ismail finished with six at the end of the half. He didn’t score after that.

Manhattan’s Aaron Walker had a huge second half as his big dunk in transition gave his team momentum to take a 58-53 lead in the final five minutes of the game.

Kendley got to the rim and was fouled, while scoring the basket to put the Bears up with 1:55 left in regulation. Walker connected on a lay-up of his own right after Kendley’s free throws tied the game at 60.

Waterman nailed in a nice turnaround jumper to tie the game at 62. After a turnover by Kendley, Waterman nailed another turnaround jumper that put Manhattan up 64-62 over Morgan State with 33 seconds left in the game.

Kendley was fouled and sent to the line with 11 seconds left. He knocked down both free throws to tie the game at 64.

Capuano knocked down a three pointer to go up 67-64 with three seconds left. The lead didn’t last long as Kendley got the ball in transition, and nail a hail mary from half court at the buzzer to send the game into overtime.

Both teams were pretty much back and forth in the extra session. Kendley turned the ball over and Manhattan scored with seconds remaining on the clock to tie the game up. Walker missed the potential game winner so, the game went into double overtime.

Trading baskets once again, Manhattan eventually turned the ball over one possession. Carr was fouled and connected on a pair of free throws to put his the Bears up 82-80.

Walker got to the rim for Manhattan with 48 seconds left in the game, but didn’t connect on the lay-up. The game was tied at 82-82 at this point.

Morgan State’s Stanley Davis got to the line just like last week against High Point when the game was on the line with seconds remaining. Davis went 1-2 at the line to put Morgan up 83-82.

Kendley grabbed the rebound off of a great defensive possession by Morgan State to put the game away with .7 seconds left.

The Bears will be back in action on Dec. 10 when they play against Wagner College at home.

Follow Inside The Locker Room on Twitter


About Traevon Benjamin 31 Articles
I'm the owner of Goat Enterprises, Sports reporter for the PG Sentinel Newspaper and cover the Maryland page on Ballervisions

Be the first to comment